How do I become a tutor or writing consultant?
Students who are interested in becoming a peer tutor, writing consultant, or Supplemental Instruction Leader need to meet specific qualifications and complete the Learning Commons application process. The qualifications require a student to:
- be a currently enrolled student at Defiance College with at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- be able to provide proof of completion of the course for which they will be tutoring (in the case of writing consultants, they need to complete both AH110 - Comp. I and AH120 - Comp. II) with a letter grade of B or better.
- have a sincere desire to help all students from a varieity of backgrounds and academic disciplines
- be able to listen and communicate effectively
- be reliable, professional, and customer service oriented
- be able to collaborate well with others
- have a resume, completed application, and in the case of writing consultants, an academic writing sample, on file in the Learning Commons
The application for Writing Consultants and the Application for Tutors and SI Leaders is attached below. A student can complete the process by turning in his or her resume and application (and academic writing sample if applicable) to the Learning Commons Manager, Lisa Crumit-Hancock (room 211 of the Pilgrim Library). The Learning Commons Manager will intereview a student once his or her application is submitted. If hired, a student must complete mandatory training.